Do you recognize this vegetable? It's 'Kai Choy' (Mustard Cabbage) or I called it 'Sayur Pahit' because it is a little bit bitter in taste.
I posted on how to make your own 'Sayur Masin' (Salted Mustard) out of this 'Kai Choy' here. Go on have a look and try make your own :)
Well, hubby got me 3 ikat (bundle) of them 'Kai Choy' for only RM2. There weren't any other vegetable in the fridge so I decided to have a go and cooked them with some anchovies.
I was skeptical as I know the 2 other girls won't eat anything bitter but hubby kept saying it will taste nice.
It was nice!
And crispy when you chewed the cut stems. The girls ate it and hubby loved it :)
Have you tried it?
My Cooked Mustard Cabbage (Sayur Pahit) with Anchovies
Mustard Cabbage or Sayur Pahit
To prepare :
Wash each stem of the vegetable under running water to remove any soil.
Cut into small pieces, wash again and drip dry in a sieve.
To cook :
1. Heat a little bit of oil then throw in 7 - 8 anchovies in. Stir until the anchovies turned a little brown.
2. Add in 1 grounded shallot, 4 garlic and 1 red/green chilli (optional). Stir again.
3. Add in the washed, cut vegetable in.
4. Stir well.
5. Add salt and ajinomoto to taste. You may add a little water if you want to.
6. Serve hot with rice and your main dish.
Tip - If you cooked anchovies first into your hot oil and let them turned a little brown, then only add in your grounded onions, the anchovies are nicer to eat.
Have a good week :)