'Simple Moments are Sometimes the Best Moments'

if you like my blog, do follow me!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

1. Eve of Chinese New Year



I can hear fire crackers cracking outside around the residential area where I am staying. It is the eve of one of Malaysian festivals, the Chinese New Year, the Ox as they called it for this year 2009. Eve of Chinese New Year the Chinese held reunion dinners among family members, exchanging red packets, fireworks and firecrackers.

The 1st day of the Chinese New Year falls on 26 January 2009, that's tomorrow. The 1st day is a day for visiting family members and friends. Friends are not only amongst the Chinese but friends of other races too visit their Chinese friends.

There are about 24 million people in Malaysia from diverse backgrounds or races. It can be said that in diversity there is unity because in Malaysia all the races, ethnic Malays like myself, and Chinese, Indians, Ibans, Eurasions, indigenous people (sons of the soil) and many others work and live together. And because of this, we have many festivals like 'Hari Raya Aidil Fitri', 'Christmas', 'Thaipusam', 'Deepavali' and like tomorrow it is Chinese New Year for the Chinese.
So indirectly, every races of people are involved in any of these Malaysian festivals. And unity among the people are strengthened in some ways here.
But on a more personal side, this CNY reminds me of a friendship gone sour. I guess right now any CNY will remind me of it. For the time being I'd rather not discuss about it but bury it deep in one part of my heart. I hope and hope one day this precious friendship of mine will slowly flourish as it used to be.
Meanwhile on this coming festival day I wish all who celebrate Chinese New Year this year I pray may the Ox brings you happiness and prosperity!
Cheerio.

No comments: