This was given by my maid who helps me clean my house once a week. She told me near her house at Kpg Lusut she has one big bamboo tree, always once in a while giving out bamboo shoots like this. Actually this wasn't the first time she gave me, she often does. She said her daughter was getting tired of eating bamboo shoots too often ha ha... Just the opposite of my eldest daughter Zu, she loves it, she said when she eats it, it goes 'krupp, krupp' in her mouth.
Anyway, my maid said her bamboo tree doesn't give so much bamboo shoots like before that was why she gave me only one piece.
One Bamboo Shoot
I think I have blogged about this Rebung once here, but that was cooked as soup and the other with coconut milk.
This time I cooked it without too much gravy. Cooked it a bit dry and hot.
Sayur Rebung Pedas
To Prepare :-
1. Slice the bamboo shoot thinly.
2. Boil them in a pot of water.
3. After boiled and soft, pour into a sieve and let dry aside.
To Cook :-
1. Saute grounded small shallots (3 - 4 pieces), 3 garlic and 1 teaspoon of belacan (shrimp paste).
2. Add in grounded 2 big red chillies + grounded 4 chili padi.
3. Add in some roughly grounded dried prawns (optional).
4. When aromatic, add in the sliced bamboo shoots.
5. Stir well then add salt to taste.
p/s. Without adding water, there will be some water from the bamboo shoots itself.
Mak isah don't add dried prawns because my son has starting to be allergic to prawns and
if you cooked without adding prawns the bamboo shoots last longer (tak cepat basi).
Next I cooked 'Sayur Kacang Panjang'
My Sayur Kacang Panjang
There are many ways how one can cut this vegetable. Sometime Mak Isah cut it slanting but most of the time I cut it this way, into small small strips like this. Why, because any leftovers Mak Isah will eat it with some white bread for snacks or for breakfast.
1. Saute grounded of 2 garlic, 3 small shallots and 1 red chilli.
2. Add in a pinch of belacan (shrimp paste).
3. Stir until aromatic.
4. Add in the cleaned cut Kacang Panjang.
5. Stir well for 3 - 4 minutes.
6. Add salt to taste.