'Simple Moments are Sometimes the Best Moments'

if you like my blog, do follow me!

Thursday, November 26, 2009

202. Sayur Midin

Have you ever eaten this vegetable? It is called 'Sayur Midin' in Sarawak. It is absolutely delicious when cooked with belacan (shrimp paste).
Midin is quite expensive nowadays, and this small bunch down here cost RM2.00. And that is not all, only the tip of the of the fern is used in cooking and the rest is discarded due to its tough fibrous feel. On the other hand, the tip is tender yet crunchy to the bite.

If you go to the areas around Permaijaya or Senadin you can see this vegetable growing wild nearby the roadsides. I have noticed too there are some growing near the roadside of Miri Bypass. This midin grows wild and probably pesticide free.

Anyway hubby bought 2 bunches of these the other day, and I can tell you...it took me almost half an hour to separate the part for cooking and the part to discard. BUT once I have cooked them and ate them hot, fuyooo... they sure was delicious :)


















Midin, after separation & before I cook them


















To cook, ground 2 - 3 garlic, 1 shallot, several chillies depending how hot you want it to be and about 2" belacan.


















Heat up the ingredients in some cooking oil, then add in the midin. Cook until just when its natural juice boils, and then add salt to taste.


Right, eat it while its hot!


















Cheerio.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Temuk said...

Pn Isah
I have eaten it,15 years or so ago! Can't exactly remember, was it at Marudi, or Kuching? I'd say, midin tastes like pucuk paku. Can we call it paku merah? I've seen something like midin, growing wild in some places here. I don't know wether it is edible. To my knowledge, midin is not sold anywhere here.

Unknown said...

Temuk,
you ate it 15 years ago?? goodness me, that's sure is a long time. And you've been in Marudi or Kuching :) if that was also 15 years ago, Marudi hasn't change that much but Kuching sure has. I guess you can call midin, paku merah as they are from the same family. I've always call this red one, midin. And on the roadside here they grow together, if you see midin you are sure to find sayur paku too. Talking about sayur paku, now the women also picked the soft batang paku to sell and these looks like small asparagus also delicious when cooked with belacan, the way I cooked the midin.
btw, Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Adha to you and your family from us here.
Take care,
isah