'Simple Moments are Sometimes the Best Moments'

if you like my blog, do follow me!

Friday, May 14, 2010

271. Masak Lemak Labu Dan Cangkok Manis

'Labu' is pumpkin and 'Cangkok Manis' is 'Mani Chai' or 'Lakian Chai' or 'Sweet Vegetable' as I called it. I found out it has a scientific name called Sauropus androgynous.

I love both these vegetables and once in a while cooked them in this way :)

My 'Masak Lemak Labu and Cangkok Manis'



'Labu Kuning' (yellow pumpkin) I have peeled, cut them into small cubes and washed





The 'Cangkok Manis' (Sweet Vegetable) I have pulled the leaves from their small branches, squeezed the leaves when cleaning them and leave to dry in a sieve.


Ground one small red onions, 5 garlic and belacan (shrimp paste) and because I want it hot, 10 'cili padi' (very hot small local red chillies).
Break a stalk of lemon grass. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder.



Saute all the above ingredients.
Add in some water (how much soup I want).
Add the washed cubed pumpkin and the sweet vegetable in.
Add in 2 packet of 'Cocolin' powdered coconut milk (mix in a little water to dilute).
Bring to boil and until pumpkin cubes are soft.
Add salt and ajinomoto to taste.

Eat with hot rice. With this dish I also fried 'ikan bilis' (anchovies) to eat for our lunch.

I told hubby let's go 'economy' today and I am a bit lazy to cook too many things today :p


Cheerio.



Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

xxx said...

yiahh, go economy~ hehehe.. sedap bah itu, tak kira ekonomi ke tidak~ :) mama isah, ive got ur cookbooks edi! i love them, recipes are simple n the ingredients are easy to get! :) hehehe i will soon start my project! ^wink wink^..

mama isah, usually my mum makes labu masak lemak with cangkuk manis and ikan tahay! :) sedap tau! :) hehehe.. i bet yours pun sedap! :)

Anonymous said...

Crikey, that's a lot of garlic and chillies! It looks good but I think I'd have to try a beginner's version of this - I can't really eat anything that's too spicy!

Temuk said...

Salam Isah
That cangkuk (cekur) manis sure goes very well with yellow pumpkin. People in Semenanjung also use sweet potato (keledek) as a substitute for pumpkin. I love any kind of sayur lemak since I grew up in a coconut area. BTW, what is ikan tahay?

Unknown said...

Mira - Ha, Mak isah memang SELALU gi economi LOL...

Aitt..dah sampai cookbooks tu? cepat..
Mak isah so happy you love them :) itu la..sengaja mak isah carik cookbooks yang edisi locally, supaya senang kita cuba!
Dear, now is the time go economi ha ha...dah ada cookbook, buat projek mesti mira tak gi belanja terlalu byk makan kat luar :p

Ikan tahay tu ikan salai kan? ada mak isah ikan salai kat umah tapi budak2 tak nak mak isah campur dalam mskan tu tadi. Eh ingat pasal ikan salai ni, sedap kalau dimasak sup dgn nenas mira.. :)

xxx said...

hello mr temuk, ikan tahay is smoked fish.. well, here,its especially for that fish.. hurm.. am not sure wats the name.. hehe, but am sure if u say ikan tahay, ppl here knows it.. :)

mama isah.. am trying out the bizkit tomoro, i dah p beli brg2 td.. hehehe.. and am selling for gawai celebration too! coz byk permintaan! kalau sedap bizkut lam cookbook tu, am super duper happy~~ and will bake for u too! :)

Unknown said...

Salam Temuk
A'ah boleh guna keledek instead of labu kuning :)
I too grew up in a coconut area as my late grandpa tanam byk coconut trees. Puas minum air kelapa muda waktu itu!

Ikan Tahay (sebutan local S'wak language)ialah Ikan Tahai, which is actually small Ikan Tamban.
Usually here, especially in Limbang these fish are smoked & sold at stalls or by the roadsides.

Unknown said...

Cafe Bellini - That's usual for Asian cuisines my dear :)
he he...yep you'll have to try a beginner's version.

Thanks for coming over :) please come again!

Unknown said...

Sama-sama kita bagitau Temuk, mira :p

Thanks dear :)

p/s. Thank you for posting my giveaway in your blog. You looked v sweet! :)

Unknown said...

Uwahhh...betul Mira nak bake biskut dari cookbook tu?? Bangga nyer mama isah!
Bagus tu untuk jual, dulu2 mak isah pun bake biskut dan jual waktu ada celebrations. Lumayan... :)

Hjh Noralenna Abbas said...

Puan Isah,
Masak lemak cekur manis + labu (or with keledek) lagi kick kalau ada sambal belacan!

TK said...

Mak Isah this is masakan melayu yg sangat membuka selera. It seems masakan semenanjung and Sarawak sama je.I suka sgt tu. BTW smalam i pegi tesco nampak perut towel tu. Betullah it's called tripe in English. Slalu pegi tesco tak bother pun nak tgok label yg tertulis kat atas tu.

Unknown said...

Kak Nora - Betul tu, tambah dengan ikan masin goreng, fuyooo! Menjilat jari!

Terima kasih sebab sudi singgah dan beri komen. Nanti saya singgah ke blog kak nora ye?

Panggil saya isah je, ok?

Unknown said...

TK - Ha ha...kredit to Mrs Bee sebab bagitau kite the word tripe tu :)

A'ah masakan lemak ni sungguh sedap! my favorite! Kalau ada labu kuning mesti mak isah cari sayur cangkuk manis. Masakan kita sama je TK. Most Sarawakians tak tahan makan pedas tapi mak isah suka!

have a nice day my dear :)

Cik Lily Putih said...

labu sedapnye tapi anginlah.

Pn Isah,
ade tag utk u,
http://www.ciklilyputih.com/2010/05/nice-bloggers-award-tq.html